Tuesday, April 3, 2007

April 3

Beautiful warm day today--and extension of yesterday. I see that my second bluebell post was unnecessary because the first post turned out fine. Oh well, what an inauspicious start.

I'd like to chronicle some of the things I see on my daily walks on the grounds and woods around my office. Yesterday I saw a gorgeous hawk in a tree near the trail. The two ladies walking a ways ahead of me didn't even notice him. He was stunning. He was large and with the russet coloring, must have been a red shouldered hawk. I always get those mixed up with red tailed hawks and will have to get out the bird boo for that.

The beavers continue to dam up the pond, and there is always water across the trail at the lower pond. Frogs were singing down there today, but I could not spy them. Perhaps if I'd lingered longer, I could. The skunk cabbage is abundant below the ponds this year -- probably a result of the flooding caused by the beavers. Workers were busy at the 911 memorial garden today and I will have to check it out sometime soon, though it is outside my usual route.

At home, the bluebells are coming on strong in the back yard. The weather is expected to turn much cooler tomorrow through the weekend, so that might retard their coming peak bloom time. That's okay with me because springtime is all too rapid a succession.

No comments: