Monday, April 2, 2007

First Post-Early Spring

I've decided to start this blog because I love the flowers of nature and want to chronicle their bloom times in the garden or in the wild. We're already well into spring here in Northern Virginia so I'll start with some flowers of March. I've posted some garden shots on my cats' blog, but that's only appropriate when I can get the cats to pose in the garden.

The snowdrops, crocus, and Iris reticulata are all long past, and we're now into the peak season for the famous cherry blossoms, the ubiquitous Bradford pears, and forsythia. The enchanting and delicate redbud trees are starting to come into their glory, and the fleeting serviceberry tree outside the bay window in the kitchen is ready to pop.


The poor hellebores had a hard time this year. January was so mild that they began blooming then, but February and early March were very harsh, so the blooms and foliage took a beating.

Other delicate spring blooms were enchanting, but difficult to capture with my inexpensive camera.






Daffodils are already beginning to fade by now.



Here's a cute little anemone in the leaf litter of the beds in the front yard.

Some of the wildflowers are now beginning to bloom. Here is a fleeting bloodroot.



My favorite Virginia bluebells (Mertensia virginica) have started to bloom. I look forward to visiting them in the wild along the banks of Bull Run.
I love SPRING!

No comments: